Licence and CPC Checks

How to Check your Training Hours

The new online driver enquiry service, developed by DSA, has just been launched to allow lorry, bus and coach drivers working towards Driver CPC to go online to check records of the periodic training they’ve done.
Lorry, bus and coach drivers can access the service 24 hours a day, which provides a clear and simple online record, showing:
* the driver’s Driver CPC qualification expiry date (bus and coach and / or lorry)
* details of each training course completed
Drivers can register to use the service at
ode-button original
The service also allows drivers to give current or prospective employers temporary access to their training records – allowing them to confirm how much periodic training the driver has completed in their five year cycle.
This online service should also benefit trainers by reducing the need for them to respond to individual driver and operator enquiries.
Uploading training records
It should only take up to five days from course completion for a driver’s training record to be updated.
If you’re a trainer, it’s important to get records added within this period.
If you’re a driver and your record hasn’t been updated within this time, you should contact your trainer directly. If you don’t get a satisfactory response from them, you should then raise this with DSA via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Driver Licences and Driver CPC Periodic Training

ukdrivingThe Association of Trainers has identified what it describes as a disturbing side-effect of carrying out driver CPC periodic training. A large number of ‘invalid’ licences are coming to light, with both a lack of entitlement and out of date photo cards regularly being found.

At the start of any driver CPC periodic training course, the trainer completes a roll call and carries out a visual check of the driver’s licence and photo card, but then sometimes has to inform the driver they don’t hold a valid licence. Operators should have their own system in place to monitor and check that drivers all always in possession of a valid licence as they could be prosecuted for ‘causing and permitting’, whilst their insurance would also be technically invalid for such drivers.

Alec Horner, Chairman of The Association of Trainers states ‘’Unfortunately, licence checks are often carried out by untrained personnel who simply photo-copy the licence without checking information contained on the licence. Periodically, operators should carry out thorough checks of drivers’ licence using the DVLA licence enquiry system. Forms for this can be found at A number of ‘commercial’ agencies can also carry out these checks on behalf of operators.

He also advises that from 19th January 2013, when further sections of the Third Driving Licence Directive are implemented, all new drivers will have to renew their PCV and LGV entitlements every 5 years, irrespective of their age, including those under 45 ( although it will not be a retrospective requirement).

Although the photo card will still last for 10 years, the vocational licence will expire every 5 years. Drivers under 45 will have to simply complete a medical self-declaration, not have a full medical ( by completing a form D4). The requirement to have a mandatory eye sight check has not been included, although one large national chain has issued leaflets saying that this is the case!

Operators might like to consider implementing a simple eye sight test ( i.e. the ability to read a number plate at 20 metres) as part of their periodic licence check process and record this check as part of the licence check paperwork.There is a general lax approach within many fleet operators ( not just PCV) and only a minority of bus coach and truck fleet operators have implemented robust driver licence check procedures. How many more drivers are going to attend a driver CPC periodic training course and get a nasty shock? Many drivers have to stop driving temporarily until their licence is restored, therefore hitting them directly in the pocket. Whilst some operators might say it’s the driver’s own responsibility, the Police, VOSA and the Traffic Commissioners will clearly hold the operator to account for allowing a driver with an invalid licence to drive a PCV ( which is also technically uninsured) around the highways and by-ways of this sceptred isle!

Driver CPC Card Checks

There is a very simple way for operators to check a driver's CPC entitlement by using the DVLA licence validation process, which costs £5 per enquiry. Section 2 of the Forms D795/D796 ( available from this section of the website) specifically confirms if a valid driver CPC card has been issued. When an operator first employs a driver they have a ‘duty of care' to ensure that the driver has a valid licence for the category of vehicle they are employed to drive and also ensure that the licence is valid. Simply looking at a licence and photocopying it is no proof that the licence is either valid nor has the correct class entitlements (DVLA do make mistakes) and drivers can hold several copies of their licence. Operators who do not carry out a proper validation check can be prosecuted for ‘causing and permitting' and the ‘O' licence holder can be personally fined and have points put on their own personal driving licence for employing drivers with an invalid licence, whilst the Traffic Commissioners can also call them to task over what is considered to be a matter of repute. Unfortunately many operators do not carry out these validation checks, but ignorance is no defence. If you wish to register to carry out these checks with the DVLA then the D802 is available from this page along with the driver consent forms D795 (valid for 3 months) and D796 (valid for 3 years). There are commercial agencies that will carry out these checks at a charge on behalf of an operator, but generally they are only interested in ‘high volume' large fleet operators.
It is not the external training organisation's responsibility to check the validity of the driver's CPC, although they can usually quickly establish the requirement to hold one by checking the PCV test pass date and what type of work the driver is carrying out. Our Members have had several examples where drivers have not had the correct entitlement to drive, including one who had been driving a bus for seven years without a valid licence and others who have passed their PCV since 10th Sep 2008 but did not pass modules 2 & 4 and therefore cannot drive ‘commercially'. However, this is usually too late as the training company only gets involved after the driver has been employed and has been driving for the operator for some time! Drivers from other European countries can be an even bigger nightmare, although the DSA introduced a new process from 25th Oct for other EU drivers to have their driver CPC training undertaken elsewhere in Europe to be recognised and a UK driver CPC card to be issued at a charge of £25. Further details are available in the associated article ‘Non UK licence holders ‘ on this page. Interestingly only a minority of drivers currently passing their PCV test require a driver CPC as figures released by DSA show the majority of new passes are for D1 (minibus from 3.5 up to 7.5 tonnes) only, which is mainly explained by the change in licence entitlements from 1st Jan 1997, whereby categories C1 and D1 are no longer given as part of the car test pass. Therefore Section 19 & 22 permit drivers need to pass their D1 as do school teachers driving most school minibuses. Incidentally, this also explains why 7.5 tonne trucks have gone out of fashion!

Non UK Licence Holders

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) has put in place a system for those drivers with a non UK licence to obtain a driver qualification card (DQC) in GB. Only those drivers holding such licences, and who have completed part (i.e. at least seven hours) or all of their periodic training in the UK, are eligible to apply. If a non UK licence holder attends a periodic training course, it's important that you don't upload their details onto the recording and evidencing system as the licence number will not be recognised. In order to obtain a DQC, such drivers will need to complete an application form (DQC1) and send this with their driving licence, D9 (some EU drivers will have this, it is a UK licence counterpart), a passport style photograph, relevant form of ID, training certificates and a translation where necessary. A fee of £25 applies and drivers will need to provide a GB address as the DQC can only be posted to GB postcode areas.
The application form (DQC1) is available from DSA by calling 0300 200 1122 or by sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it (putting ‘Driver CPC enquiry' in the subject field).
  • 1
  • 2